Texas NCIDQ Exam Application Process
In Texas, the NCIDQ exam application and registration process is a little different. It can be confusing for those interested in taking the exam, so here is a summary of the process.
- In Texas, candidates are required to apply for the exam through the state licensing board, Texas Board of Architectural Examiners (TBAE). You will submit an application form, employment verification form, and application fee to TBAE. These materials can be found at www.tbae.state.tx.us.
- TBAE will evaluate your application to confirm whether all requirements have been met.
- TBAE will contact you as to whether or not you are qualified to take the exam.
- TBAE sends your information to NCIDQ.
- NCIDQ reviews your information and contacts you telling you that you are eligible to register for the exam. This will typically be done 2-3 months before the exam. (Here, you will basically be telling them that yes you are taking all 3 parts of the exam and will be required to pay the $900.)
- NCIDQ will send you a confirmation email.
- NO LATER THAN 2 WEEKS BEFORE THE EXAM, NCIDQ will email you instructions on how to access your admissions letter which will contain information on location, directions, and other exam information.
- Take the exam!
- Once you have successfully completed all 3 sections of the exam, TBAE will notify you and provide you with instructions on registering with them. Yes, you will have to fill out another form and pay a registration fee. (Note, this is not the same as the application fee you first sent to them.) This fee and form will allow TBAE to assign you an official Texas Registration number, and you are officially a Registered Interior Designer in Texas!
- At this time, you can now also apply to NCIDQ to receive an NCIDQ Certificate number. You will have to fill out the NCIDQ application and payment. These materials can be found at www.ncidq.org. You don’t technically have to complete this step in the state of Texas, however, many people still wish to do so. That way, if you ever move to a different state, you will still have your NCIDQ certificate, since your Texas certificate will no longer apply since you would not be practicing in Texas. We highly recommend taking this step.
- The deadline to apply with TBAE for the Spring Exam is always December 1.
- The deadline to apply with TBAE for the Fall Exam is always June 1.
- If you have already been approved as an exam candidate by TBAE, you do not need to reapply each time you wish to retake the exam.
Information coming soon.